BAGSHAW MUSEUM THE WOODLANDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119738

Date first listed: 13-May-1998

Statutory Address: BAGSHAW MUSEUM THE WOODLANDS, WOODLANDS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAGSHAW MUSEUM THE WOODLANDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:51:50.

Location

Statutory Address: BAGSHAW MUSEUM THE WOODLANDS, WOODLANDS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 23494 25778

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 22 NW BATLEY WOODLANDS ROAD (South, off) Wilton Park 99/2/10038 Bagshaw Museum (The Woodlands)

II

House, now museum. 1875, converted 1911. Built for George Sheard to the designs of Walter Hanstock. Coursed rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Steep decorated slate roof with coped gables kneelers and finials. Moulded eaves and tall ashlar chimney stacks. Windows linked by moulded impost band. Plinth.2 storey plus attics. Garden front 5 windows with slightly projecting gabled 2 window wing to left. 2 flat headed plain sashes with above 2 pointed sashes, and a single similar window in gable above. Central section has 2 flat heade plain sashes with 2 pointed sashes above. To right slightly projecting gabled wing has single flat headed sash window with pointed window above and small pointed niche in gable with initials. South-east entrance front has 5 window front. Central 4 storey tower with elaborately moulded entrance archway and inner glazed doors, above a single pointed arch window with 2 single similar windows to each upper floor. Tower topped with square copper pyramidal roof topped with ornate iron crown. Gabled wing to left has 2 flat headed windows, with 2 pointed sashes above and a single similar sash in the gable. To right 2 flat headed sashes and above 2 pointed sashes and above 2 gabled dormer windows. Beyond to right a billirad room with tripartite French windows. North-west front has 5 windows. Slightly off-centre gabled projection has single small sash and above tall pointed stair window, above a small pointed sash in gable. Either side 2 plain sashes to ground floor. Above 2 pointed sashes to left and a single similar sash to right. INTERIOR has extremely well preserved Vivtorian decoration. 2 storey central hallway has full height panelling and continuous gallery, glazed curved ceiling, large hooded fireplace. Leading off an elaborate wooden staircase also with similar panelling, single tall stair window with stained glass. Former dining room has full height marquetry panelling, carved foliate frieze, painted coving, wooden pilasters, panelled shutters. Billiard room has similar decoration with fine coved plaster ceiling, wooden pilasters and carved frieze. Former drawing room has remarkably well preserved Victorian painted decoration including doors, doorcases, shutters, frieze and coving plus elaborate panels to plaster ceiling. Upper floors have some original decoration. Service corridors have original dado tiling.



Listing NGR: SE2349425778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469261

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing