WINTERSHALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119740

Date first listed: 13-May-1998

Statutory Address: WINTERSHALL, HORSHAM ROAD (OFF SELHURST COMMON)

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINTERSHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 08:42:08.

Location

Statutory Address: WINTERSHALL, HORSHAM ROAD (OFF SELHURST COMMON)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Bramley

National Grid Reference: TQ 01241 41303

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 SW BRAMLEY HORSHAM ROAD (OFF SELHURST COMMON) 1801/5/10011 Wintershall

II

House, originally manor house. Manor dates back to time of Edward I and Court Rolls date to c1240 but earliest part of existing building is probably mid to late C14. This comprises a one bay solar and two bays of a three bay open hall, the low end missing. One bay early C17 crosswing built on at west solar end. Low end of hall to east demolished when brick building was built on before 1765. This was altered and extended c1820 and c1927 when the open hall was discovered and a stone fireplace inserted, staircase built and much of the walls replaced in brickwork. Further alterations took place in late C20. Earliest part is west wing which contains open hall, formerly timberframed but walls mainly replaced in brick c1927. Tiled roof with two brick chimneystacks. C20 casements, including tall four-light window of three tiers and first floor square bay. To east of this is T-wing of early C17 date of two storeys in Bargate stone with brick dressings and tiled roof and south gable retaining early C17 carved wooden bargeboards. Ground floor altered in C20 by insertion of pointed arches to turn ground floor into a garden room. To the west are large c1765 and c1820 wings altered and refenestrated in c1927 and subsequently, tile hung to east and red brick to west with tiled roofs and clustered brick chimneystacks. These are of three storeys with large casement windows, some with leaded lights. There is an attached c1820 red brick wall about ten feet high and a low brick garden wall with stone coping, srear railings, two sets of gates and garden gate. Interior has possible mid to late C14 open hall of which three of the four bays remain, the solar and two open hall bays, the service end missing. The end truss and end of hall have plain crownposts with jowls and central truss and the lower central truss has a highly ornate, octagonal crownpost. There is a moulded dais beam and moulded wallplate. The stone fireplace in Jacobean style and staircase were inserted c1927. The solar at the west end has a fine c1500 panelled ceiling decorated with wooden straps and bosses with carved decoration. The roof to the early C17 wing has queenstrut and side-purlins. The later wings to retain the C18 wine cellar with wine bins and two round-headed alcoves but the staircase was replaced c1975 and a number of fireplaces have been inserted in the C20, some C20 reproductions but also including an C18 French grey marble fireplace, C18 green and white marble fireplace with pilasters and central panel with urn and C18 fireplace of brown marble with central panel of cherub in chariot drawn by lion and cherub paterae. Several C18 doors also survive. [See report by Kenneth Gravett (not dated) "Wintershall - Its architecture". DBRG Report no 4567 by G E Howard January 1998 VCH Surrey pp84-85. ]



Listing NGR: TQ0124141303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469263

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1905), 84-5

End of official listing