This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HYTHE TOWN RESERVOIR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HYTHE TOWN RESERVOIR

List entry Number: 1119742

Location

HYTHE TOWN RESERVOIR, NORTH ROAD AND CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hythe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-May-1998

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 13 NE HYTHE

6/10000 Hythe Town Reservoir

II

Covered reservoir. Dated 1868. Classical style covering building of ashlar ragstone with red brick dressings and roof now covered in corrugated tin. T-shaped and aligned roughly east-west. The long walls are of dressed ragstone with plinth, brick margins and pilasters but the inner skin is of brick and rubble stone mixed. Barrel-vaulted roof but wall-head mutilated when the roof was replaced so may have been pitched originally. At the east end is a small porch, primarily of brick with dressed ragstone ashlar used for side walls. This has stone pediment, pilasters and recessed panels of alternate brick and stone and central entrance with flat arch, voussoirs and plank door. The whole internal area is occupied by the reservoir tank which is about three metres deep. The reservoir walls are built in brick and rendered. The interior of the main range is sub-divided by two cross walls with large segmantal arch spans in the centres making the tank one large space. Similar cross walls separate at the short wings at the western end from the main range. Water appears to have entered the tank directly from springs through two or three pipes at its eastern end and left from a single pipe in the bottom of the south western wing. These fittings are reported to be still present but appear to be of quite modern date. This reservoir was on the site of an old Tan Pit and the water came from a spring on land owned by Henry Bean Mackeson, Maltster, who claimed a right to the water. Agreement was reached in 1868 by which the Hythe Corporation became entitled to one half of the yield and the other half became the property of the Landowner who used it in his brew. This arrangement continued until the brewery closed.



Listing NGR: TR1658235031

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 16582 35031

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:40:46.

End of official listing