CLEWER MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119757

Date first listed: 28-May-1998

Statutory Address: CLEWER MANOR, IMPERIAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLEWER MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 18:48:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CLEWER MANOR, IMPERIAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 95285 75973

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 97 NE WINDSOR IMPERIAL ROAD

599/8/10011 Clewer Manor

GV II

Large house witrh stable and coach-house and garden walls; then school. Dated 1841 (on weather-vane) for Edmund Foster; alterations 1860s, for Edmund Benson Foster (inherited 1862); alterations 1922, extensive additions and further alterations 1936, all for Imperial Service College. Red brick, mostly in English bond, with blue header-brick decoration and diaper-work; ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. House of 2 storeys with attic. In Jacobean style, having: plinth; offset ashlar bands; quoined surrounds to mullioned and transomed windows; roll-moulded coping and finials to shaped gables; ashlar gargoyles; pierced ashlar parapets; chimneys with clustered octagonal stacks.

Entrance (south-west) elevation : 7 asymmetrical bays.

The 3 principal bays to right form a balanced composition and have a projecting central entrance bay with curvilinear gable. Stone steps with decorative side walls and piers lead to internal porch which has 4-centred arch of several orders, dripmould, coats of arms to tympana, and pointed-arched side-walls. Inside, further steps up to double-door with side-lights, all with pointed-arched panels below decorative etched glass (gone from doors). Above entrance is 3-light oriel, stepped 3-light attic window, and decorative initialled panel to gable. Flanking bays each have an added 2-storey canted bay window and 1-light window to gable, that on right widened. Tall chimneys flank entrance bay.

Bay to left of this rises as tower under swept ogee roof with bracketed eaves cornice, obelisk finial and weather-vane; windows of 2 lights to ground floor, 1 light above, those on two lower floors with blind upper lights decorated with coats of arms. To left again is a full-height 2-storey bow with 3-light windows having decorated blind lights as before. The next 2 bays were originally lower, raised by one storey, that on extreme left set at angle, both with decorative blind lights as before to mainly 2-light windows.

Right return: 3 bays with central break. At centre, added 2-storey canted bay window, as those at front, with flight of steps, as at front, up to French window; shaped gable with enlarged 1 -light window, shield and gable stack. Flanking bays each have a blind 2-light window with decorative and initialled shields to ground floor, and an inserted 2-light window above; 2 added flat-roofed dormers.

Rear: The 3 principal bays on left have shaped gables linked by parapet. At centre, added 2-storey canted bay window with steps up to French window, as before. Flanking bays on ground floor appear to he rebuilt (in Flemish bond brickwork) and have 6-light windows with king mullions and 2-light windows above; enlarged 1-light windows to gables, that on left now fire exit with metal stair. Wing set back to right, formerly of 2 storeys, now 3, of 2:3 bays, those on right canted, the ground-floor windows with blind, decorated upper lights as before. At centre of canted bay is 3-light window of 1860s which has decorated stepped panel above with shield initialled 'EFB' and flanking serpents.

Extensive C20 wings to the north-west of the main house enfold the former stable and coach-house. Built in the same materials as the main house and in similar, but plainer style, these form a 2-storey L-shaped range with the former stable facing west and the coach-house at right angles to rear left. The stable is of 6 bays arranged 1:2:1:2, the single bays projecting and gabled and that on the right originally with 4-centred-arched throughway; gable slits and one segmental-arched window to left bay survive, otherwise C20 windows and forward extension. Coach-house, viewed from inner courtyard, has projecting 3-storey tower with pointed-arched former entrance, 1st-floor window under dripmould, recessed panel with C20 clock-face above, and former cupola removed; the 3 bays to right formerly had wide coach entrances below moulded bressumer; 2 windows above break eaves under gablets; right-hand gable is crow-stepped. Small section of tall c1841 brick stableyard wall survives, having off-set pilaster butresses; stepped, roll-moulded ashlar coping; and triangular-headed pedestrian entrance. C20 walling links this to another similar section which has walls sweeping down to projecting panel with shaped gable containing similar entrance.

Interior of house: detail is particularly elaborate on the ground floor, but throughout there are panelled doors, architraves, panelled reveals and shutters to windows, panelled cupboards, simply-moulded cornices, and fireplace surrounds. On ground floor, doorways are treated more elaborately, having panelled reveals, engaged fluted columns with Composite capitals and modillion cornices. Entrance hall, stair-hall and former drawing-room have applied plaster panelling; entrance hall, stair-hall, small former sitting-room (at front of house) and former dining- room have coffered plaster ceilings with panelling and finials; that to dining-room is particularly richly detailed. This room has also: panelled dado with marble insets; engaged fluted columns with composite capitals to walls, supporting segmental arches with decorative strapwork to tympana; marble fireplace with baluster-like columns, fluted frieze, moulded ledge, and mirror over in strapwork-decorated architrave; decorative strapwork over windows. Former drawing room runs full depth of house and has: fluted pilasters with composite capitals supporting frieze with embossed flowers and deep moulded cornice; marble fireplace has pilasters with classical female figures on pedestals, and frieze with recumbent female figure and trailing leaves. Stair-hall has similar pilasters, coved ceiling, and etched glass to window over. The Jacobean-style wooden stair has open string; turned balusters; moulded handrail with curtail; panelled newels with knob finials; 1st-floor mirror flanked by recess and door, all with round arches and decorative modillion- bracketed open pediments.

A good early Victorian Jacobean-style house which retains much of its original character.



Listing NGR: SU9528575973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469285

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing