GARRET HOSTEL BRIDGE BETWEEN CLARE BRIDGE AND TRINITY BRIDGE ON THE CAM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119764

Date first listed: 29-May-1998

Statutory Address: GARRET HOSTEL BRIDGE BETWEEN CLARE BRIDGE AND TRINITY BRIDGE ON THE CAM, THE BACKS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARRET HOSTEL BRIDGE BETWEEN CLARE BRIDGE AND TRINITY BRIDGE ON THE CAM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 12:07:56.

Location

Statutory Address: GARRET HOSTEL BRIDGE BETWEEN CLARE BRIDGE AND TRINITY BRIDGE ON THE CAM, THE BACKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 44553 58508

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 45 NW CAMBRIDGE THE BACKS

20/10086 Garret Hostel Bridge, between Clare Bridge and Trinity Bridge on the Cam.

II

Footbridge over river. 1960. Timothy Morgan of Guy Morgan and Partners (architect). J.L. Kier & Co (engineer and contractor). Prestressed concrete structure (granite aggregate), bronze railings, reinforced concrete abutments faced with York stone. Two hinged arch of 8Oft span. Sixth bridge on site since 1455, replacing cast iron one of 1837. This bridge was presented to the city by the Trusted family who are connected with nearby Trinity Hall. The designer Timothy Morgan, who died in 1960, was an undergraduate at the School of Architecture. An attractive arching bridge with a keel-shaped underside, which elegantly frames a well-known view. "One of Cambridge's best post-war works of architecture" (Booth & Taylor). Henry D: Modern British Bridges: C R Books: 1965-; de Mare E: Bridges of Britain: Batsford: 1975-; Booth & Taylor: Cambridge New Architecture: 1964-).



Listing NGR: TL4455358508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469293

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booth, P , Taylor, N, Cambridge New Architecture, (1965)
De Mare, E, Bridges of Britain, (1975)
Henry, D, Jerome, J A, Modern British Bridges, (1965)

End of official listing