This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEST FOOTBRIDGE LONDON ZOO

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST FOOTBRIDGE LONDON ZOO

List entry Number: 1119765

Location

WEST FOOTBRIDGE LONDON ZOO, REGENTS PARK NW1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469294

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2783 NE REGENT'S PARK, NW1

1900/5/10100 West Footbridge, London Zoo

GV II

Footbridge. 1960-61. Sir Hugh Casson, Nevile Conder and Partners, Frank Shaw project architect, Stephen Revesz engineer. Reinforced concrete, faced in black precast concrete panels. The bridge has cantilevered side spans of the type pioneered for road bridges such as those over the Trent at Clifton, Notts and over the Medway, adopted here because the poor subsoil necessitated a hinged form of construction. The spans here are 56 feet long, with a suspended central span of 42 feet. Arched abutments, with steps tucked between them giving access to the canal. Broad deck designed for viewing, with two openings or lightwells, enclosed by steel railings and teak handrails. At the centre of the deck, benches set on a plinth have replaced another lightwell.

The West Footbridge was one element of Franz Stengelhofen's 1950 plan that was not changed in Casson's revision. It was designed to improve links between the two banks of the canal as part of the Cotton Terraces development. This attractive bridge forms a successful link both visually and physically between the two banks of the canal. Visually it relates very closely to the Snowdon Aviary which it adjoins.



Listing NGR: TQ2793583557

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27935 83557

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:42:56.

End of official listing