Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119793

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1998



Ordnance survey map of WESTCOTT INFANT SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 14:30:11.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wokingham

National Grid Reference: SU 81633 68570


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1886/10/10010 Wescott Infant School


Alternatively known as: SCHOOL ROAD (west side). School, with two play-ground shelters. Opened 1906; later C20 alterations. By Edmund Fisher (London). Red brick in English bond with pebble-dash render; plain tile roof with corniced brick stacks. 1 storey with partial 2nd floor and cellar. H plan, having 4 parallel gabled ranges with transverse roof at centre, presenting 4 x 4-bay elevations. In Arts and Crafts style, having: plinth; wide corner pilasters with deep dentilled cornices; side-bays defined by quoined brick strips; half-glazed doors with glazing bars below fanlights with radial glazing bars; wooden windows with architraves and sashes of 12, 15, or 18 panes, and some large mullion-and-transom windows of paired or tripled sashes with 9-pane windows over; some oculi with radial glazing bars and keyed brick architraves; tile cill strings; moulded barge-boards; flat-roofed dormers with 2-light, 12-pane windows. Principal (south-east) elevation: outer bays each have 3 windows with oculus over and porch to inner return with entrance to return and small side-window; inner bays have 3 windows, larger at centre, and at roof-crossing over each is a louvred wooden cupola with leaded dome and ball finial. 3 chimneys to right side, one to left side, and one between left-hand bays. Rear similar, the outer bays with cambered brick arches to ground-floor windows, the left bay masked by flat-roofed single-storey addition, and with Ipswich window to gable. At centre, narrow window below gabled tile-hung bellcote on shaped wooden brackets with small bell. Returns each have two central gabled bays with larger, transomed, windows flanked by narrow windows. Interior: light and airy. At the centre, there were originally movable partitions to allow use either as class-room or as a larger hall (now used as dining hall). Many of the original fittings remain, including part-glazed doors; part-glazed partitions in central area; parquet floors; class-room cupboards (some doors removed) and wall-mounted black-boards with side-cupboards; old radiators; dog-leg stair up to 2nd-floor room; fireplace with decorative metal grate in this room and to present staff-room. In playground to rear are two contemporary shelters: red brick in Flemish bond with 1940s pink-brick sections at sides of front wall; mono-pitch roofs with corrugated sheeting. Each 1 storey, 6 bays. Open-fronted having timber posts on chamfered padstones and arch braces to wall-plate. Inside each is a bracketed wooden bench along rear wall. A well-designed and executed early-C20 school in the Arts and Crafts style.

Listing NGR: SU8163368570


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469349

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing