This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF BEAUMONT COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF BEAUMONT COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1119796

Location

CHAPEL OF BEAUMONT COLLEGE, BURFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Old Windsor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD WINDSOR

SU97SE BURFIELD ROAD 599-1/14/8 (South side (off)) 03/03/72 Chapel of Beaumont College

GV II

Chapel for the Jesuit College, now offices. 1870 by Hansom, interior decorated by JF Bentley in 1873-6. Stock brick, tile, coped gabled roof rising above the buildings of Beaumont College (qv). EXTERIOR: east gable: is of decorated brick with a large rose window. North front: 6 bays. Round-headed blind arcade on the top level with stone impost blocks and continuous sill; projecting brick eaves. INTERIOR: a floor and ceiling has been inserted and the walls have been lined, all c1970. The capitals of columns are still visible. The interior is reputed to be intact under the linings and has a barrel vaulted roof and an arcade of round arches to a single north aisle. All were plastered with painted designs in Raphaelesque style. Reredos in Venetian Renaissance style. (Victoria County History: Vol III: 81; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1975-: 190; Murray's Berkshire: 152).





Listing NGR: SU9905773255

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 81
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 190
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 152

National Grid Reference: SU9905773255

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 04:02:37.

End of official listing