This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1119805

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Old Windsor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469361

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD WINDSOR

SU97SE CHURCH ROAD 599-1/14/12 (South side) 10/08/51 Church of St Peter and St Andrew

II*

Parish church. Early C13, chancel and nave partly rebuilt mid C14. Restored 1863-4 by Sir Gilbert Scott, north chancel aisle, south porch and spire added at the same time. MATERIALS: flint with stone and chalk dressings; old tile gabled roof, shingled broach spire. PLAN: continuous nave and chancel, north chancel aisle, west tower and spire; south porch. EXTERIOR: tower: one-stage buttresses each with one offset at the extreme angles. 3 lancets at the ground stage. 4 single light windows to the bell-chamber, one on each wall, the south window is 4-centred, the other pointed. Over the west window of the ringing chamber is a small square-headed light. C19 door on west face with pointed-arched head. Nave, north side: 4, square-headed windows, C14 but restored; the window on the left is of 3-lights, the other windows 2-light. All are divided by mullions carried through to the head into trefoiled lights with a trefoil in the head of each division. There is part of an old brick relieving arch visible between the second and third windows. Nave, south side: windows similar in design and arrangement to those on the north side. Between the second and third windows is the gabled porch; timber-framed with a scissor braced roof; bench seats and cusped side panelling above a solid panelled dado. Pointed and chamfered chalk arch behind with C19 plank doors. Chancel aisle, north side: a 2-light window similar to those in the nave, to the west of which is a pointed doorway. The east window is of 3-lights and the west window 2-lights, both are C19. At the angles of the north wall are square buttresses. Chancel, south side: a 3-light window of similar design to those on the nave. To the left of this a lancet and a small door in a pointed arched opening. INTERIOR: 2 bay C19 arcade opening into the chancel aisle from the chancel. C19 crown post, collar purlin roof. One large aumbry on either side of the altar. Early C17 font, octagonal with moulded stem; the upper part panelled with quatrefoiled arches, in which are leaves and symbolic devices. Some pieces of C14 glass remain in the head of the easternmost window in the north wall of the nave and the window west of



this. There is also similar glass in the westernmost window of the south wall and in the head of the easternmost window of the south wall of the nave. (Victoria County History: Vol III: 83; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1975-: 189).







Listing NGR: SU9925574644

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 83
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 189

National Grid Reference: SU 99255 74644

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119805 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:19:11.

End of official listing