CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1119826
Date first listed:
10-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:03:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sunninghill and Ascot
National Grid Reference:
SU 93980 68618

Details

SUNNINGHILL

SU96NW CHURCH LANE, Sunninghill 599-1/15/58 (East side) 10/08/51 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II

Parish church. 1808, extended in 1826-7 in the Perpendicular style, on the foundations of a Norman church. Chancel, vestry and south chapel added in 1888 by WH Crossland. Extended C20. MATERIALS: multi-coloured stock brick; tiled, gabled roof, hipped over south aisle. PLAN: 4 bay nave; north and south aisle; west tower with porch underneath; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Parish room extension on north with small, low link to north vestry. EXTERIOR: tower: 2 stages, separated by moulded brick string course. 3-stage angled buttresses; moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Lower stage has doorway on south side, with a re-used Norman arch with chevron ornament, and 2 lancet windows on south front. Above this is a 2-light round-headed window in a square surround on the north, south and west faces. The upper stage has a clock face on the west and south, and a louvered opening with pointed head on all 4 sides of the bell chamber. Nave: north aisle: 4 bays divided by buttresses. First and second bays have 2-light windows with Y-tracery; third and forth bays have geometrical tracery. West front has a planked door with a 4-centred arch and a 2-light window above with Y-tracery. South aisle: 4 bays similar to north aisle. Both aisles have an embattled parapet. North vestry: projecting plinth, embattled parapet and coped gable with crocketed pinnacles. 3-light window on east with geometrical tracery. The north vestry is set back from the east face of the chancel. South chapel: east front on the same plane as chancel, with similar window, and gable to north vestry. Two, 3-light windows with geometrical tracery on south front. Chancel: projecting plinth, coped and embattled gable with crocketed pinnacles. 5-light window with geometrical tracery. INTERIOR: nave has slim cast-iron columns, supporting a roof with moulded scissor-braced roof trusses and moulded king posts. Chancel has cusped roof trusses. (Victoria County History: Vol III: 135; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1975-: 233).



Listing NGR: SU9398068618

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469407
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 135
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 233

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01437/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Reay. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].