THE OLD RECTORY AND SWANWIC HOUSE THE OLD RECTORY UNDER KINGS ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119876

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY AND SWANWIC HOUSE, KINGS ROAD WEST

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY UNDER KINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY AND SWANWIC HOUSE
THE OLD RECTORY UNDER KINGS ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:07:07.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY AND SWANWIC HOUSE, KINGS ROAD WEST

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY UNDER KINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Swanage

National Grid Reference: SZ 02756 78802

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS ROAD WEST 1. 5190 (south side) The Old Rectory and Swanwic House SZ 0278 NE 5/124 26.6.52 (formerly listed as The Old Rectory under Kings Road) II GV

2. Now 2 houses. The oldest part dates from the mid C17, enlarged in C18 and early C19. Various later lean-to additions. Purbeck Stone walls and roofs. The original plan form is difficult to determine owing to successive enlargements and alterations. Two storeys and attics. Gabled roofs, some with half-hips. Some double-hung sash windows some casements. Entrance door to The Old Rectory has a carved stone head dated July 10, 1667, with initials WR for William Rose - Rector at the time - possibly the builder of the house. Next to this is a fragment of medieval window tracery. These features may have been re-set. Interior considerable altered. RCHM Monument 7.

Listing NGR: SZ0275678802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108250

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing