This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1119896

Location

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swanage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 108192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5190 (north side) United Reformed Church (formerly listed as Congregational Chapel) SZ 0278 5/66 26.6.52 II GV

2. Original building of 1837. Designed by "Mr George Gollop of Poole" (RCHM). Large extension to east built 1901-2, designed by Tom Stevens of Bournemouth (Pevsner). The original building is of Purbeck Stone rubble, with a central projecting section in ashlar. Roof concealed behind parapet. The projecting centre section has 2 doors on the ground floor, with semi-circular heads. These are carved with the dates - Built 1705, and Rebuilt 1837, respectively. First floor has a semi-circular headed window. The side sections have double-hung sash windows on the ground and first floors. Internally, this building retains its panelled gallery round 3 sides - carried on cast iron columns. It is now used as a Hall. The Pulpit from this building has been re-used in the newer extension - see below. At the rear of the original Church, at a lower level, is the old Schoolroom. - believed to be one of the earliest day schools in Swanage. Simple panelling to the walls. The later building is of Purbeck Stone, and is in a Gothic Revival style. The main south front, facing High Street, has the centre "nave" section projecting beyond the "aisles", which end in single- storey porches with parapets. The centre section has a 4-light square-headed traceried window on the ground floor, and above this a large Perpendicular style window. The building is set back in a forecourt with stone paving, which has a Purbeck Stone boundary wall with stone gate piers and iron gates. A prominent building in the High Street. RCHM Monument 3.

Listing NGR: SZ0274578711

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SZ 02745 78711

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:13:51.

End of official listing