This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARK

List entry Number: 1120037

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS AND ST MARK, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Parley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST PARLEY SZ 09 NE CHURCH LANE (East) 12/75 Church of All Saints 18.3.55 and St Mark - II* Parish church. C12 nave, C14 chancel. C15 north porch, C16 nave extension, C18 features, restoration (and vestry) of 1896 (including the external wall of the chancel). Ironstone rubble walls and buttresses, roughcast to most of the nave, coursed rubble to the chancel and vestry, with plinth, brick bands; ashlar dressings. Roof of tiles, with lower courses of stone slates. Aisleless nave and chancel, north porch and north vestry. The east window is medieval, the nave has three C18 Gothic trefoil-headed lights, the chancel with smaller lights (1896) of similar form. The porch is timber framed on a stone base, with a bargeboard of cusped decoration, and within is a plain Norman doorway and an old door with medieval hinges. The bell turret is boarded, with four gables and an octagonal leaded spirelet. Inside, there is a C14 chancel arch and squints (of uncertain date). The front is a C12 tub with arcading, one cylindrical stem and square base, with a later octagonal bowl at the top. There is a two-decker Jacobean pulpit, with panelled and moulded sides, and a sounding board of the C18. The medieval roof has exposed arch-braces (once hidden by a plaster barrel vault, as restored in the chancel), the former carved bosses, removed when the roof was restored in 1933, being exhibited in a glass case. There are box pews in pine, of 1841. RCHM

Listing NGR: SZ0865196844

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SZ 08651 96844

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:25:36.

End of official listing