This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMER MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMER MANOR

List entry Number: 1120056

Location

ALMER MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sturminster Marshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STURMINSTER MARSHALL SY 99 NW ALMER 9/53 Almer Manor. (Formerly listed as 18.3.55 West Almer Farmhouse) - II* House. c1600, with early C17 extensions, and C20 alterations. Walls of flint and limestone bands, some of ironstone rubble. Tile roof, with stone slates in the lower courses. Rectangular block with central hall, with a wing extending at right angles, the re-entrant being filled in the early C17; two storeys and attic, irregular elevations. The long north west front has a two storeyed angular bay, and another to its north side of similar form (thought to be an introduction of c1600) but containing the entrance. The porch bay is made more elaborate by having columns at the outer angle, a crude Corinthian above a Doric order (new), and an arched opening with a keystone. Windows are mostly stone-framed with mullions and hood-moulds of the C17 and C20, filled with casements. There is a deep porch set against the double gable of the north east elevation, and a C20 'Tudor' doorway in the angle of the south west elevation. Nearby is an old wood framed pump, containing a lead hopper-head with raised decoration, the date 1779, and the letters E.T.D. Inside, there is C17 panelling, old doorways and remains of the original roof truss. RCHM

Listing NGR: SY9140298970

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SY 91408 98975

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:36:16.

End of official listing