This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION

List entry Number: 1120073

Location

CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, VERWOOD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodlands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107619

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODLANDS SU OO NE VERWOOD ROAD (south side)

6/160 Church of the Ascension 18.3.55

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. Built 1892 for the Countess of Shaftesbury. Architect, G F Bodley. Brick walls with stone dressings, tiled roof. Stone bellcote set longitudinally at junction of nave and chancel. Double nave and chancel with no structural division, and central arcade, north porch, and vestry south of chancel. North elevation has, at west end, porch with coped gable. Pointed arched doorway flanked by stone buttresses. In north wall of church, 2 square headed 3-light windows with ogee tracery. East wall has central buttress with gabled top, and two 2-light pointed arched windows with ogee tracery. On south side, at east end, vestry with flat roof and moulded parapet. In south wall of church 2 square headed windows as in north wall. West gable wall has central buttress and two 2-light pointed arched windows with curvilinear tracery. Foundation stone dated 1891. Internally, walls plastered. Central arcade of 5 bays - the eastern 1½ bays forming chancel. Roof with colour decoration, and principals supported on arcade wall. Arcade with octagonal columns, moulded caps and chamfered arches. Carved oak chancel screen by Bodley. Carved and painted timber altar and reredos. Mural paintings in chancel. C12 circular stone font on C20 base, from the former Church at Knowlton (qv). (R.C.H.M. Monument 2. Dorset Vol II. Newman and Pevsner "Buildings of England. Dorset").

Listing NGR: SU0507809016

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

National Grid Reference: SU 05078 09016

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:45:29.

End of official listing