GROTTO 250 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST GILES HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1120131

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: GROTTO 250 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST GILES HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROTTO 250 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST GILES HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 07:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address: GROTTO 250 METRES SOUTH EAST OF ST GILES HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Wimborne St. Giles

National Grid Reference: SU 03448 11422

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIMBORNE ST GILES SU 0311 ST GILES HOUSE

13/111 Grotto 250m south-east of St Giles House

II*

Grotto, 1750s by Castles of Marylebone. Flint and rubble with tiled and slated roof. Overgrown and in a state of dereliction so that much of the structure is hidden. Positioned so that the structure appears to be the source of a spring feeding the ornamental lake. Three rounded arches, the central one leading into the main grotto and the outer ones leading into subsidiary compartments. The main grotto which cannot now be easily entered has walls lined with shells, fossils, coral and stone mounted on a lathe and plaster vault, partially collapsed. It consists of 2 chambers the innermost of which is said to contain a C19 tiled floor and fireplace. The subsidiary compartments contain flints suspended from iron hooks. Main grotto has a plank door. An important example of this type of grotto but now in a state of considerable disrepair. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, p 97, no. 6. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p 473. Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, 1953, p 47-9).

Listing NGR: SU0344811422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107446

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 97
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1953), 47-49
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 473
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

End of official listing