Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CRANBORNE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120172.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 11:27:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Dorset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 05313 13228



11/2 Cranborne Manor House 18.3.55


Hunting Lodge, now country house, c.1207/8, remodelled and extended 1608-1636, further extended c.1647 and restoration 1863. C13 work for Ralph Neville on behalf of King John; early C17 work by William Arnold for Robert Cecil, lst earl of Salisbury; 1647 work by Captain Richard Ryder; 1863 restoration for the 2nd Marquess of Salisbury. Partly rendered rubble and flint with ashlar dressings and partly ashlar. Tiled and stone slated roofs. North front has brick stacks with triple flues set diamondwise symmetrically disposed. Other brick stacks in various locations. Original plan probably a first floor hall and subsidiary rooms over a vaulted undercroft together with south-west corner tower. 3 storeys with basements and attics. Original main facade to the north; symmetrical, of 3 main bays. South front of 5 bays with an additional 2 bays to the west. Windows are C17, mullioned and mullioned and transomed with returned labels. North front has a porch in the form of an open loggia of 3 semicircular arches on Doric columns. The battlements rise from a partly C13 corbel table. To the right of the porch is a C13 double archer's loop. C13 buttresses with C17 facing in the form of coupled classical pilasters. The south front has an embattled parapet above a corbel table. To the centre is a C17 portico with 3 rusticated arches on Doric columns supporting a strapwork entablature. The upper floor of the portico bears niches and a parapet with recesses containing sculptured symbols of Libra and Virgo. C17 doorway with original plank door. To the right of the portico is a C13 canted vice turret. The west wing has a steep hipped roof with overhanging eaves and heavy modillions. The windows are C19 replacements.

Internally a number of rooms have C17 panelling and fireplace, some being reset. A number of C17 stone doorways with 4-centred heads and original plank doorways are retained. C17 vaulted undercroft. C17 screens with Doric pilasters and gallery with arcaded panelling over. C13 vice rises the entire height of the house. Some remnants of C13 shafted rere-arches. Various remnants of a C13 chapel in the east end of the house. Various other C19 features, largely in a Jacobean style.

The building is extremely important both as a rare survival of early C13 domestic architecture and as a fine early C17 country house. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, pp 7-12, No. 4 and Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, pp 17-174.)

Listing NGR: SU0531313228


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 7-12
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 17-174
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06367/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].