This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST ALDHELM'S CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST ALDHELM'S CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1120176

Location

ST ALDHELM'S CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cranborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANBORNE SU 01 SE BOVERIDGE

7/9 St Aldhelm's Chapel

18.3.55 II

Chapel of Ease, now redundant, dated 1838. Banded brick and flint with rusticated brick quoins and ashlar dressings, slate roof. Plan: combined nave and chancel; north chapel; north tower. In an electric classical style. Round-headed ashlar windows with moulded architraves and stone keystones, some with transoms at the springing line. Modillioned brick cornice. Rusticated west doorway with double, panelled doorway in pilastered surround; 3-light window over. Belfry has 2-light round-headed ashlar windows. Ashlar open cupola with round arches on Roman Doric columns surmounted by a vase finial.

Internal features (RCHM): reset C16 and C17 panelling; wall tablet to Henry Brouncher and family 1825; reset stone cartouche with painted arms; gadrooned stone font with fluted bowl, probably 1838; (Pevsner) Openwork pulpit incorporating C17 work. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. V, p.7, no.2., Newman, J and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.105.)

Listing NGR: SU0616214652

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 7
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 105

National Grid Reference: SU 06162 14652

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120176 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:15:31.

End of official listing