PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120308

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 17:48:37.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT GEORGE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Langton Matravers

National Grid Reference: SY 99828 78890

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 9978 LANGTON MATRAVERS HIGH STREET (North Side)

6/28 Parish Church of Saint George 20-11-59 GV II

Anglican Parish Church. Tower mid-C15, rest of church rebuilt 1875-6. Architect G Crickmay. Walls of tower rubble stone, body of church of rock-faced ashlar. Tiled roofs with coped gables to nave, chancel, chapel and porch. Flat roofs with parapets to aisles and tower. Nave, north and south aisles of 4 bays, chancel, south chapel, vestry and organ chamber, west tower, south porch. Large C20 vestry extension north of chancel, of stone, with flat roof. Tower of 2 stages, with angle buttresses and battlemented parapet. Octagonal stair turret on south. 2-light traceried windows to belfry, with stone louvres. West doorway altered and raised, flanked by stone corbels. Panelled door with fan- light. North and south aisles have 3-light traceried windows. 2 plain lancets in south wall of chapel. East window of chancel of 3 stepped lancets - the central one traceried. Paired lancets in east and west porch walls, with inner rere-arches and shafts. Internal walls fairfaced. On west wall of nave (east wall of tower) evidence of 2 earlier roof lines. Ridge of present nave roof above top of tower. Nave arcades have plain circular columns with moulded caps. Paired trefoiled lancets to clerestory. Hammerbeam roof to nave, carried on Purbeck marble shafts. A 2-bay arcade each side of chancel, with Purbeck marble shafts and foliage capitals. Font, C13, octagonal, on an octagonal base with attached shafts. All other fittinqs C19. RCHM Monument 1 (Dorset Vol II).

Listing NGR: SY9982878890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109039

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing