PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120327

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, DORCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 02:43:21.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, DORCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Lytchett Minster and Upton

National Grid Reference: SY 96044 93092

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYTCHETT MINSTER DORCHESTER ROAD SY 99 SE NORTH SIDE 4/72 Parish church Dedication Unknown - 20/11/52 II Anglican Parish Church. Tower C15, - rest of church rebuilt 1833-4 by John Tulloch of Wimborne. Tower has ironstone walls - rest of church of buff brick on an ironstone base - possibly incorporating re-used stone from earlier church. Low-pitched slate roofs with coped gables and wide eaves. In Commissioners' Gothic style. Nave, chancel, north vestry, south porch, west tower. Tower of 3 stages, has angle buttresses to lowest stage. Battlemented parapet. Polygonal stair turret on north wall. Belfry has 2-light square- headed windows. Slit window below belfry in south wall. In west wall, doorway altered in C19, - window over this has had tracery removed. South porch has gabled roof, with a pinnacled slate sundial at apex. Carved head below this. Angle buttrusses with octagonal pinnacles. Pointed arched doorway with continuous mouldings. Nave, and north and south chancel walls have pointed arched windows, - originally with Y-tracery - removed from some windows. One window in south wall of nave altered in late Cl9 - now has 4-centred arch. East window of chancel of 3 lights with Perpendicular style tracery. Angle buttresses to nave and chancel.

Porch has plaster quadripartite vault with moulded ribs. Tablet commemorating rebuilding in 1833. Panelled oak inner doors. Canted ceilings to nave and chancel with some ornamental plasterwork. West gallery with panelled front, on timber columns. Early Cl9 carved Royal Arms. Simple C15 octagonal stone font. RCHM Monument 1 (Dorset Vol II)



Listing NGR: SY9604693094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108985

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing