PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHARBOROUGH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1120553

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHARBOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHARBOROUGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:24:30.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHARBOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Morden

National Grid Reference: SY 92515 97852

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 99 NW MORDEN CHARBOROUGH PARK

3/125 Parish Church of Saint Mary, 20/11/59 Charborough

GV II *

Formerly listed as "Chapel of St Mary, Charborough House". Parish Church. Rebuilt 1775. - replacing a medieval church and remodelled 1837. Plastered walls, with stone dressings, slate roof, with battlemented parapet. Small bell turret with spirelet at west end. Simple rectangular plan - no structural chancel. In early Gothic Revival style. Single pinnacles at angles, and over east gable. Classical cornice and pilasters. Side walls have 2-light windows with simple tracery. East and west windows of 3 lights, with Perpendicular style tracery. At west end, an open porch with slender column s supporting depressed 4-centred arches carrying battlemented flat roof. Internally, a pitched timber roof with moulded panelled ceiling with painted Coats of Arms at intersections. Several C18 and early C19 wall monuments including one by Sir Richard Westmacott. A considerable amount of imported C17 carved wood- work - mostly Flemish, installed in 1823, (commemorative tablet on west wall). This includes 2 carved brackets in nave, candelabrum in nave, communion rails, altar table with reredos, stalls on south wall of sanctuary, surmounted by another reredos , reading desk, 2-decker pulpit. Early C19 painted glass in east window. Graded II* for furnishings. RCHM Monument 2.

Listing NGR: SY9251597852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108403

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

End of official listing