This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1120559

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, HIGHER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Morden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 108422

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 99 NW MORDEN HIGHER STREET, NORTH SIDE

3/144 Parish Church of Saint Mary, 20/11/59 including boundary wall GV II

Parish Church. Lower part of tower C13 - the rest rebuilt 1873 - architect and builder Joseph Siller. Ironstone walls with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gables. Clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. Tower has battlemented parapet and angle buttresses. Single-light traceried windows to belfry; plain louvred windows belay these. Blocked doorway in south wall. Aisles and nave clerestory have 3-light square-headed windows with curvi- linear tracery and cast iron glazing. Doorway in south chancel aisle with pointed arch and carved imposts. Porch gable has quatrefoil panels. Pointed arched doorway with canopied niche over. Grotesque carved kneelers to east gables of nave and chancel. Pointed arched east window with Perpendicular style tracery.

Internally, nave arcade of 5 bays has columns of quatrefoil plan with carved caps. Flat ceiling to nave and lean-tos to aisles, with plain beams. Chancel has pointed barrel roof with moulded ribs.

C12 font with octagonal bowl on C19 base. Monument to Sir Thomas Earle at west end, dated 1597 - part each side of tower arch - kneeling figure on north and 3 half-length figures on south - all on later pedestals. Early C19 hatch- ment in north aisle.

Boundary wall to churchyard, of ironstone. Plain square piers - all with weathered capping. RCHM Monument 1.

Listing NGR: SY9161095607

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SY 91610 95607

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:21:12.

End of official listing