Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1120694

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: 12-15, THE COLLEGE


Ordnance survey map of 12-15, THE COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120694 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 00:00:10.


Statutory Address: 12-15, THE COLLEGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27266 42040


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/91 Nos. 12-15 consecutive (formerly listed as House 6.5.52 with Diocesan registry under, passage to river banks, house adjoining passage to river banks, and Bishop of Jarrow's House


3 houses, now 4 houses and offices; incorporating part of Priory Guest Hall. Medieval guest hall; late C17 rebuilding; C18 upper floor of No. 15 at right; substantial remodelling in 1808 by Atkinson of No. 12 at left; 1830 date above door of No. 14 in centre. No. 13 runs through all 3 buildings at basement level. L-plan, No. 12 projects at left and No. 14 is extruded. No. 12 (including part of No. 14 at right rear): Atkinson's Roman cement render with painted ashlar dressings; roof not visible. Nos. 14 and 15 ashlar; roofs not visible; rendered brick chimneys.

No. 12: castle style. 3 storeys, 4 windows; projecting corner turrets, the right with one window. 2-storey battlemented porch in second bay has studded door in double-chamfered Tudor-arched surround. Tudor-arched passage entry under right turret; similar heads to small ground-floor and tall first-floor windows, the latter with Perpendicular tracery; square-headed windows above doors and on top floor have Tudor-headed lights; all have dripmoulds. Eaves string; roll-moulded battlemented parapets, higher on turrets. 2 panelled chimneys. Rain-water heads with shields; lugged pipe fixings. Right return has 2 coats of arms and 3-step mounting-block.

No. 14: Gothic style. 3 storeys, one bay. Side steps, the lowest two quadrant- shaped, up to Tudor-headed studded door in deeply-chamfered surround; cusped light at left. Similar lights in oriel above door with emblems and shields on cornice; single cusped window on top floor under low gable with eaves string and roll-moulded coping. Front wall of steps has 2 small rectangular windows. Right angle buttress; coat of arms on right return, above inserted door to No.13.

No. 15: one storey, 7 bays. Wide steps up to stone terrace in front of boarded door in third bays elaborate hinges and 3-light overlight under flat stone lintel. Chamfered quoins at right end. Tall 3-light windows have wood mullions and transoms, flat stone lintels and flat stone sills; double-chamfered 2-light basement windows. Eaves band. Moulded parapet string and coping. Basement has part of medieval jamb at left with 2 shafts. Rendered brick chimneys. Square gas lamp on iron bracket at left of door. Rear elevation, high over river banks, has much medieval masonry, including principal window of No. 13 and garderobe drains of No. 14.

Interiors: tunnel-vaulted passage to river bank; at left a round-headed door to undercroft, which has round columns supporting wide chamfered ribs of quadripartite vaults. Post-Reformation above, apart from thick east-west walls. Porch has rib vault and inner Tudor-style door; central open-string stair of one flight and long landing with Gothick balustrades. First floor octagonal vestibules have Tudor- arched doors and niches. One c.1700 room has fielded panelling, corniced chimney-piece with C19 iron fire-shutters; other decoration Gothick, with Tudor chimney-pieces, book-cases, crested pelmets and panelled shutters; varied cornices.

Nos. 12 and 14 have C17 and C18 rooms behind, some panelled, one with scroll- bracketed corniced chimney-piece, architraves and cornices to corner closets, pedimented doorcase. Other rooms have Tudor-arched chimney-pieces, Gothic corbels and panelled ceilings, wide glazing bars and panelled shutters. Top room has deeply-moulded roof beams of late C16/early C17. Early C19 Gothick doors from stairs to all rooms. No. 15 has early C18 stucco ceiling in one room and rococo decoration in another; C18 chimney-pieces and panelled door reveals. No. 13 has much medieval masonry, with rebated and chamfered 2-centred arched door at north; 2-centred and shouldered arches elsewhere; stone corbels supporting massive chamfered beams; red paint on stone and wood. Garderobe closet. Massive stone lintel over former kitchen fire, with spit machinery bearing founder's name W. Moore. Bolection-moulded panelling and deeply-moulded stucco cornice in bedroom.

Listing NGR: NZ2725842042


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110139

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing