Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of WITTON HALL AND WALL ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120696 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:10:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Witton Gilbert
National Grid Reference:


WITTON GILBERT CHURCH LANE NZ 24 NW (West side) 1/50 Witton Hall and 28/2/52 wall attached. (Formerly listed as Hospital (remains) at Witton Hall Farm) GV II*

Probably grange of late C12 leper hospital, built by Gilbert de la Ley; rebuilt 1399-1400. Now house. C18 and later additions. Wall attached to front. Render with painted plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Wall rubble, with some large stones, and quoins; coping obscured by vegetation at time of survey. House L-plan. Main range facing south: 2 storeys, 3 bays; central door with 3-over-3 panels under 4-pane overlight; 3-light flanking windows have late C20 glazing under segmental heads. 3 first-floor sashes with glazing bars. Roof, hipped at right, has left end rendered chimney, and right chimney set slightly back from eaves of rear wing. Right return to street 3 storeys, 3 bays. First bay blank except for blocked high C14 window, with ball-flower ornament to hollow surround of 2-centred-arched plate-tracery head, and fleur-de-lys ornament to quatrefoil between similarly-shaped heads of 2 lights; lower parts of window rendered over except for moulded surround. 2-light stone-mullioned window on top floor of second bay; third bay has paired sashes with glazing bars on ground and first floors, and C20 window with glazing bars on second floor, 2-storey, 2-bay extension to wing has similar windows, and pent one-storey, one-bay extension. Chimney on rear gable. Rear elevation shows 2-bay outshut under catslide roof filling space between wing and main range.

High wall extends c.2 metres from right of house, containing boarded door, and returns, ramped down, along right side of garden for c.10 metres, ending in single quoin. Rubble extension not of interest.

Interior shows round-headed dripmould to ground floor at rear of third bay of main range, within rear wing; this opening blocked and plastered; other face, within main range, has bulge suggesting dividing mullion in opening. Rear first-floor passage in main range has opening in wall to roof space. Roof shows massive kerbed principals, and arched tie-beams with shallow graduated slots, possibly decorative. Roof only partly inspected, and remainder of building interior not inspected.

Sources: Information from M. Snape, Prior's Kitchen, Department of Palaeography and Diplomatic, University of Durham, concerning Muniments of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. Surtees Society Vol. 99, p.216. R. Surtees, History of Durham, II, p.369.

Listing NGR: NZ2350145385


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Snape, M, Priors Kitchen
Surtees, R , The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1840), 369
'Surtees Society' in Surtees Society, , Vol. 99, (), 216


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12460/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].