This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FULLING MILL ARCHAEOLOGY MUSEUM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FULLING MILL ARCHAEOLOGY MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1120711

Location

FULLING MILL ARCHAEOLOGY MUSEUM, THE BANKS (LEFT BANK OF RIVER WEAR)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110078

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE BANKS NZ 2742 SE (Left bank of River Wear)

14/30 Fulling Mill 30/4/71 Archaeology Museum

GV II

Water mill and house, now museum. C17 and C18, probably incorporating earlier fragments. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; sandstone rubble with brick dressings; dark brick top floor in English garden wall bond (4 or 5 and one); roof pantiled with 4 rows of stone slates at eaves. 3 storeys and attic, 4 bays on north elevation. Mill race under segmental ashlar arch in third bay; boarded door and 2-light window at left under wood lintel; 3-light windows with central casements have elliptical brick arches with brick keys and tile fill; brick jambs in rubble first floor. Hipped roof has slightly-swept eaves; square-headed ridge dormer. Left return has chamfered 2-centred arch at left, with springing of incomplete arch projecting.

Interior: arms of Bishop Langley (1406-1437) in east wall said to have been removed from North Gate. Wide closed-string stair with square newels and varied balusters. House in left rear wing said to contain dog-leg closed string stair with wavy rail and moulded handrail. Source: F.F. Johnson, Historic Staircases of Durham City, Durham 1970.

Listing NGR: NZ2722142103

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Johnson, F F , Historic Staircases of Durham City, (1970)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27221 42103

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:31:53.

End of official listing