This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GODRIC

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GODRIC

List entry Number: 1120717

Location

CHURCH OF ST GODRIC, CASTLE CHARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110089

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE CASTLE CHARE NZ 2742 NW (South side)

9/41

Church of St Godric

GV

II

Roman Catholic parish church. 1864 by Edward Welby Pugin; tower 1909-10 by Pugin and Pugin. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof destroyed by fire. West tower; nave and chancel with north aisle and east apse. Gothic style. 4-stage tower has north door: 9 panels with mouchette-traceried overlight in 2-centred moulded arch; tall transomed windows above have two lights with dagger tracery; Two tall slits above these; top stage has tall paired belfry openings with cusping below trefoil top lights. Set-back buttresses with offsets; niche in north-west angle has statue of saint. Floor strings; top arcaded corbelling to pierced parapet with large corner pinnacles. Paired aisle windows under cinquefoil clerestory lights; easternmost two are larger and under gables with elaborate cross finials; similar gables over 2-light windows of 3-sided apse; linking moulded coping has gargoyles. Stepped continuous sill string.

INTERIOR: plaster; pink granite columns and sandstone ashlar dressings. 5-bay arcade has 2-centred arches on round columns with ballflower capitals. Dripmoulds. Roof missing and interior damaged by fire at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NZ2706842632

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27068 42632

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 06:47:57.

End of official listing