FORMER LONDONDERRY SCHOOL, NOW OFFICES OF CHEVRON ROOFING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1120738
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
FORMER LONDONDERRY SCHOOL, NOW OFFICES OF CHEVRON ROOFING

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120738.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:06:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER LONDONDERRY SCHOOL, NOW OFFICES OF CHEVRON ROOFING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Rainton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 32280 46749

Details

WEST RAINTON WEST RAINTON NZ 34 NW 3/47 Former Londonderry School, now offices of Chevron Roofing GV II

School, now offices. Dated 1850 for Marchioness of Londonderry on panel over door. Coursed squared gritty sandstone with quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. T plan. One storey, 6 bays with rear wing. Gabled porch in fourth bay has boarded door in chamfered Tudor- arched surround under inscribed stone recessed in moulded panel. C20 mullioned- and-transomed 2-light windows in chamfered surrounds. with projecting stone sills. Roof and porch have block kneelers. Right return has 2 large windows. Rear wing of same height.

Inscripton reads:

THIS EDIFICE / Erected in 1850 by FRANCES ANNE VANE / MARCHIONESS OF LONDONDERRY / As an encouragment to the Colliers / To promote the Moral and Religious Education / of their Children / and as a lasting Memorial of the interest SHE takes / in their welfare.

Listing NGR: NZ3228046749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110038
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01236/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].