SLASHPOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120742

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: SLASHPOOL HOUSE, 4, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SLASHPOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 22:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address: SLASHPOOL HOUSE, 4, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Croxdale and Hett

National Grid Reference: NZ2822636507

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROXDALE AND HETT

NZ 23 NE 6/60 12/6/75 EAST STREET (East side) Hett Village No.4 (Slashpool House) (formerly listed in Hett C.P.) II

Farmhouse and wing at right, now private house. Dated 1708 on lintel of cross-passage doorway, restored 1982. Coursed sandstone rubble with renewed Welsh slate roofs and rebuilt brick chimney stacks. Cross-passage in left bay of wing. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse has roughly-squared alternating quoins and two C19 openings on each floor. No doorway. Outline of original 3-light mullioned window in right bay. Blocked fire window on ground-floor right and small diamond-shaped (fire or closet ?) window above. Replaced 12-pane sashes with flush lintels and projecting sills. Steeply-pitched roof with slightly- swept eaves has end stacks and renewed crested terracotta ridge tiles. Single-storey, 3-bay wing, formerly byre, partly rebuilt in 1982. Chamfered E doorway in left bay has large alternating jambs and lintel inscribed: I A Two late C20 windows at right and steeply-pitched roof. Rear of main 1708 block has identical diamond-shaped, first-floor window at left, full-height gabled stair wing on centre and single-storey lean-to addition of 2 builds at right. Interior of main block: Chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace with bar stops against left gable end. Cambered fire beam and fire windowin right end room. Dogleg staircase, of 4 flights plus landing rail, with moulded closed string, bold turned balusters, rectangular newels and partly-replaced square-sectioned handrail. 2 pairs of heavy adzed upper crucks, crossed at ridge and carrying 2 tiers of adzed purlins. 1982 stone porch on rear of wing is not of interest. (H.M. Roberts, "Cruck-framed roofs in the City of Durham", Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New Series, Volume 5, 1980).

Listing NGR: NZ2822636507

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109941

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North' in Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North, , Vol. 5, (1980)

End of official listing