This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RAILWAY STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RAILWAY STATION

List entry Number: 1120749

Location

THE OLD RAILWAY STATION, A 177

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shincliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 23 NE 299393 6/79 15/8/85

SHINCLIFFE A 177 (West side, off) High Shincliffe The Old Railway Station (formerly listed as Shincliffe Station) II

Former railway station incorporating station-master's house. 1844 by G. T. Andrews for the North Eastern Railway Company. Dressed sandstone front and returns, engineering brick on rear. Welsh slate roof with dressed stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with tall plinth and first-floor sill band. Central 8-panel double door with radial fanlight in projecting enclosed porch with flush voussoirs to doorway arch, impost string, cornice and blocking course. Later doorway inserted at left. 12-pane sashes with projecting sills, except for 16-pane sash in enlarged opening to left of porch; ground- floor windows in recessed panels. Low-pitched roof has overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and overhanging verges with exposed purlins. 2 stepped corniced stacks rising through rear pitch of roof. One-bay returns have similar fenestration and sill bands. 2-storey lean-to, with further lean-to porch, on right rear and one-storey gabled wing on left rear in s-imilar style. The station was closed in 1893. A rare complete survival of a small station by Andrews; better known for larger stations like Scarborough and Hull Paragon. (G. Biddle, Victorian Stations, 1973 and J. Stredwick, Shincliffe - An Illustrated History, 1975).

Listing NGR: NZ2990739321

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Biddle, G, Victorian Stations, (1973)
Stredwick, J, Shincliffe An Illustrated History, (1975)

National Grid Reference: NZ2990739321

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:22:10.

End of official listing