This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HALL

List entry Number: 1120783

Location

THE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Canfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD CHURCH END

2/48 THE HALL

GV II

Manor house, late C16 and early C17, extended in C19 and C20. Timber-framed and plastered (the C19 and C20 parts brick and plastered), roof tiled. The earliest part is of L-plan, a C16 crosswing aligned NE-SW and an early C17 wing aligned NW-SE, each with an axial chimney. In the C19 a block was added in the angle, and the roofs integrated and hipped all round. In the C20 the NW-SE wing was extended to the SE and a further block built in the angle. Two storeys. SW elevation: on the ground floor one bay window with C20 casements, C20 gabled porch, and late C19 sash window. On the first floor, one early C19 sash window and 2 late C19 sash windows. NW (garden) elevation, 2 early C19 sash windows and trellised porch, 3 early C19 sash windows above. No framing exposed internally. Roof of NE-SW crosswing originally of crownpost construction, altered to clasped purlin. Roof of NW-SE wing of clasped purlin construction. This is the third manor house established in Great Canfield, built on a new site by Thomas Wiseman I or II, between 1579 and 1602, possibly part of a larger house of E-plan. (The Hearth Tax return of 1662 records 16 hearths). (Eland, p. 143-4, Morant, II, 462).

Listing NGR: TL5934317940

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 462
Other
Eland,

National Grid Reference: TL 59343 17940

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:50:11.

End of official listing