This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

L SHAPED RANGE OF BUILDINGS TO DUNKIRK MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: L SHAPED RANGE OF BUILDINGS TO DUNKIRK MILLS

List entry Number: 1120862

Location

L SHAPED RANGE OF BUILDINGS TO DUNKIRK MILLS, STROUD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nailsworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jul-1980

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STROUD ROAD 1. 5227 (north-east side) L-shaped range of buildings to Dunkirk Mills (formerly listed as Dunkirk Mills) SO 8400 5/25 10.3.77 II* GV 2. Dunkirk Mills are amongst the finest surviving mills in Gloucestershire and said to have the best water-power in the Nailsworth Valley. New in 1741. Rebuilt 1798 with additions, 1805, 1818, 1821, 1827, 1855 (see datestones). Origins probably older. A long 4 storey range in 4 sections, cross wings at each end and a tall roughly central chimney on west side. Three water wheels said to remain. Coursed rubble with ashlar quoins. Furtest block to south has 2 light stone mullion windows with segmental heads, ranged 9 - crosswing - 2, and an attic with large gabled dormers in stone slate roof (partly tiled). Windows have small pane casements. Next a 6 window range dated 'P P 1818' with chimney and also with attic in 3 gabled dormers. Coped verge with chimney with open oval panel. Next a 7 window range with continuous blocked mansard lights and slate roof, dated 1798. The most northerly block now has a flat roof, it has 5 windows - crosswing dated 1855 - and end bay. Four window return and later brick extensions with chimney. Small single storey blacksmith's shop extension at south end.

Listing NGR: SO8446000562

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 84460 00562

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120862 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:06:24.

End of official listing