This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1120867

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, THORLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Trafford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212792

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM THORLEY LANE (east side)

7/36 Christ Church 26/04/85 - II

Church. Nave and tower 1849 by J. Bayley, transept and chancel 1864-5 by John Lowe, vestry extension 1887 by Charles Heathcote. Rock faced sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Neo-Norman. Wide nave, west tower, porch, transepts, chancel, organ chamber and vestry. 5-bay nave, 2-bay transepts, 2-bay chancel. Stone plinth, continuous hoodmould and coped parapet with blind arcading. Each bay has flat buttresses (clasping at corners) and a semi-circular arched window with colonnettes. 3-stage tower with spire has clasping buttresses, semi-circular headed openings to each stage, the belfry ones being coupled. Each stage is diminished and the belfry has nook shafts and dentilled eaves. Rose windows to transepts, 5-light east window and a canted bay window added to the organ chamber by Arthur W. Hennings in 1923 with chequer-patterned gable. Interior: west gallery, queen-post roof trusses, double- chamfered semi-circular chancel and transept arches, chequered terracotta wall tiles throughout (1887), carved heraldic frieze at tie-beam level. Box pews, altar rail altar table and reredos by Edgar Wood with inlaid ebony, ivory walnut etc. Pulpit by John Lowe. North transept door and vestibule by John N. Cocker.East window by Heaton Butler and Bayne 1992. Transept windows stained glass by Charles Heathcote 1887. Pre-Raphaelite style nave windows by Heaton Butler and George Bayne (Faith) and George Wraffe (Gentleness, Courage, Justice and Diligence). Chancel window by Edgar Wood.

Listing NGR: SJ7908288190

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 79082 88190

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:08:15.

End of official listing