RUNDLE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1120880

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: RUNDLE HOUSE, CAGE END

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUNDLE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:09:40.

Location

Statutory Address: RUNDLE HOUSE, CAGE END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Hatfield Broad Oak

National Grid Reference: TL 54551 16512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5416/5516 HATFIELD BROAD OAK CAGE END (west end)

6/60 Rundle House 20/02/67 GV II*

House. Late C14, c.1400 and 015. Timber framed and plastered with red brick front, but part exposed timber framing. Of 2 storeys and of complex plan form with pegtile roof. The frontage is composed of 3 units. To the west is a jettied carriage arch structure with exposed framing, jettied gable, original cusped bargeboards, blocked first floor window and attached timber shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The centre part has a parapetted Flemish bond front of early C19 which is continued in a projecting block part of which is a C20 extension. This unit has a roof gabled to the east and hipped to the west. Centre block has moulded brick cornice, one double hung sash with small panes and one casement with small panes under brick arches, over a projecting flat topped porch with pair of doors and pair of similar but deeper double hung sash windows. The west projecting block has 3 casement windows with small panes over 2 similar windows without glazing bars and a canted bay window with hipped peg tile roof. Internally there is much exposed timber framing. The carriage arch is one bay of a former 2 bay c.1400 structure with cross-quadrant crown posts, halved and bridled scarf joists, centre tenoned floor joists and former window in front corner of flank before front face of 'hall'. The hall is a 2 bay structure with off-centre cross-quadrant crown post and only the wider bay, soot blackened. Both this truss and that to west adjoining carriage arch were originally open trusses. On the ground floor, a central horizontal timber is moulded to the wide bay with a crenellated head. A similar but simpler moulded timber crosses the western truss. The narrow bay has clamp timbers with hollow mouldings presumably supporting a floor. The eastern unit of the original structure is a 3 bay crosswing, formerly gabled to front and hipped with a gable to rear. This was jettied at the front, has a simple crown post roof and heavy timber framing incorporating a service door head. This is of a probable C15 date. Behind the 'hall' is a long service wing with jowled posts and a heavily framed block at the south end, a probable former kitchen. RCHM 22.

Listing NGR: TL5455116512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353614

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing