ROLLS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120903

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: ROLLS FARMHOUSE, PRENTICE HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROLLS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:15:06.

Location

Statutory Address: ROLLS FARMHOUSE, PRENTICE HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Tollesbury

National Grid Reference: TL 94417 08534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESBURY PRENTICE HALL LANE TL 90 NW 5/33 (10/156) Rolls Farmhouse l0.1.53 GV II

House. Mid-C16, altered in C18/C19. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay main range aligned E-W, with axial stack in middle bay. 3-bay crosswing to E. C19 single-storey extension to W, with external stack at end. 2 storeys. N elevation, ground floor, one early C19 sash of 20 lights, one C20 casement, one C19 casement. First floor, one early C19 sash of 4 + 8 lights, one of 20 lights. Early C19 6-panel door, altered. The crosswing is jettied to the N. S elevation, ground floor, main range, 2-window range of early Cl9 sashes of 16 lights, and on the first floor, 2 blocked original windows each with 3 moulded mullions; crosswing, one C20 sash on each floor, and on the ground floor, 2 blocked original windows each with one moulded mullion. The interior of the main range has jowled posts, and a doorway with plain doorhead to the W (service) bay; the wide wood-burning hearth leaves the original cross-entry unobstructed, and still in use. There is a full-length underbuilt jetty to the S; the axial beam is chamfered and unstopped, and the joists are plain and of horizontal section. The parlour/solar crosswing is entered by a doorway with thin Tudor doorhead. The joists are of horizontal section, roll-moulded to the N, plain to the S, and the beam is moulded. The roof of the crosswing is of queen-strut construction, repaired. Roof of main range inaccessible, but apparently much repaired. No explanation is apparent of the anomaly by which the main range was originally jettied to the S, the crosswing to the N. RCHM 24.

Listing NGR: TL9441708534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353154

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

End of official listing