This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER CHAPEL NORTH OF HARBOUR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER CHAPEL NORTH OF HARBOUR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1120959

Location

FORMER CHAPEL NORTH OF HARBOUR HOUSE, HOLMHILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Kimblesworth and Plawsworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109383

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIMBLESWORTH AND PLAWSWORTH HOLMHILL LANE NZ 24 NE (East side, off) 7/40 Former Chapel north of Harbour House II

Former manorial chapel. Possibly C13 with C17 alterations. Coursed rubble; roof covering removed. Small rectangular-plan chapel aligned east-west.

Single storey; divided into 3 bays by C19 roof structure. Large squared quoins and c.l.O-metre thick walls. C19 doorway, and lintel of a C17 2-light mullioned window with wide inner splay, in south wall. Blocked lancet, without head but with wide inner splay, in west gable end. Featureless north wall. East gable end has collapsed. Small square opening, possibly an aumbry, on inner wall of west gable end.

Ruinous at time of survey.

Historical notes: Licensed for the saying of Masses in 1432 by Bishop Langley; Ralph Corby, one of the Catholic English Martyrs, worshipped here c.1632-44; a trefoiled-headed lancet and a piscina were removed in mid C19. Probably the only surviving private manorial chapel in the County.

(R. Surtees, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, Vol.IV, 1840)

Listing NGR: NZ2823148317

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Surtees, R , The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1840)

National Grid Reference: NZ 28231 48317

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:07:49.

End of official listing