OLD CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120979

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 23:36:06.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Corfe Castle

National Grid Reference: SY 95833 79598

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORFE CASTLE WEST STREET, KINGSTON SY 95 79 (North side) 6/178 Old Church of Saint James (formerly listed as "Old 20.11.59 Parish Church, now Parish Hall") - II Former church, now redundant, and in course of conversion to house at time of survey (1985). Built 1833 for first Earl of Eldon. Architect G S Repton. Rough ashlar stone walls with ashlardressings, slate roof with coped gables and part with parapets. Nave, sanctuary, south transept, shallow north transept, tower north of nave. Tower has battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles. Single-light square-headed belfry windows with ogee tracery. Similar windows at lower level in east and west walls. Plain pointed-arched doorway in north wall. East of tower, slightly projecting north transept,-with parapet, has 3 windows as in tower. One similar window in north wall, west of tower. East-wall of chancel has moulded coping and shaped kneelers. 2-light pointed-arched east window with ogee-headed lights. Small quatrefoil opening above this. On south side of chancel, later vestry in course of demolition at time of survey. Two 2-light square-headed windows with ogee tracery. South transept gable similar to sanctuary. Moulded pointed-arched doorway. Above this a quatrefoil opening as in sanctuary. In south wall of nave, two 2-light windows as in south wall of chancel. In west wall of nave a 3-light 4-centred arched window with perpendicular style tracery with ogee-headed lights. Small quatrefoil opening above this. Below the window, re-set, part of a C12 arch with chip-carved diaper ornament. In tower base, an inscribed stone commemorating the building of the church. Original west gallery survives - rest of interior reconstructed. Work of conversion in progress at time of survey (June 1985) (RCHM, Monument 2. Dorset. Vol. II).

Listing NGR: SY9583379598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109331

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)

End of official listing