L PLAN FARMBUILDINGS, 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF WEST NEW HOUSES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121020

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: L PLAN FARMBUILDINGS, 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF WEST NEW HOUSES FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of L PLAN FARMBUILDINGS, 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF WEST NEW HOUSES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:20:29.

Location

Statutory Address: L PLAN FARMBUILDINGS, 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF WEST NEW HOUSES FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hunderthwaite

National Grid Reference: NY 94468 19196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUNDERTHWAITE BALDERSDALE NY 91 NW 14/83 L-plan farmbuildings, 30 metres north-west of West New Houses Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse and farmbuildings, now storage. Dated 1668 on door lintel with C19 alterations and additions. Squared rubble. Stone-flagged roofs and stone chimney stack. L-plan: former farmhouse and flanking end sections form a linear group with former loose-box/hen-house range attached at right-angles to right.

Farmhouse and end sections: 2 storeys, 6 irregular bays with low plinth, flush quoins and straight joint between bays 4 and 5. Chamfered doorway in bay 2 has alternating jambs, Tudor-arched head and lintel with raised letters: WC 1668. Blocked opening to left under relieving arch. 2-light chamfered-mullioned window to right with centremullion removed and fixed 8-pane light inserted. Several boarded and Dutch doors in altered openings. First-floor openings, also altered, include a 16-pane sash in bay 4. External stone stairway, with kennel under, leads to boarded door in right bay and to hen-house opening. Continuous roof with coped gables. Stone stack above joint with top band and water table.

Lower 2-storey, 3-bay building, formerly loose-boxes with hen-house over, has flush quoins. Dutch door in right bay. First-floor hen-hole and ledge in centre bay. Gabled right return has altered openings.

Rear of farmhouse section has projecting 2-storey left bay. One-storey, 2-bay rear outshut to right has boarded door and lean-to roof with coped gables.

Interior of former farmhouse shows evidence of 2 Tudor-arched stone fireplaces against left end cross wall.

One-storey range, attached to left return of farmhouse section, is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NY9446819196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111248

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing