MAUSOLEUM/MORTUARY CHAPEL 90 METRES NORTH OF YEW TREES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121025

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM/MORTUARY CHAPEL 90 METRES NORTH OF YEW TREES, LARTINGTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUSOLEUM/MORTUARY CHAPEL 90 METRES NORTH OF YEW TREES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:18:55.

Location

Statutory Address: MAUSOLEUM/MORTUARY CHAPEL 90 METRES NORTH OF YEW TREES, LARTINGTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lartington

National Grid Reference: NZ 02052 17860

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE NZ 0217 (North side, off) 32/96 Mausoleum/Mortuary Chapel, 90 metres north of Yew Trees II Small mausoleum/mortuary chapel. Dated 1877 on keystone. Built for Monsignor Thomas Witham of Lartington Hall. Rock-faced masonry with leaded roofs. Square, single-cell plan.

Stepped clasping buttresses. Pair of 3-panel doors in splayed round-arched doorway with roll-moulded hoodmould and projecting keystone inscribed: TW 1877. Doorway-flanked by stepped pilasters partly cut away to accommodate red sandstone colonnettes. Pilasters crowned by statuettes of St. Peter (to left) and St. Paul (to right). Raised cross above keystone. Wood eaves cornice. Low-pitched hipped roof surmounted by glazed, square-plan lantern with leaded pyramidal roof. Slightly-projecting rear bay has 3 stepped round-headed lancets.

Caen-stone-lined interior has carvings by Messrs. Priestman and Sons of Darlington.

Of interest as a mortuary chapel in a private Catholic cemetery.

Listing NGR: NZ0205217860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111265

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing