This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WOODLANDS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WOODLANDS

List entry Number: 1121026

Location

THE WOODLANDS, LARTINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lartington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE NZ 0117 (North side, off) 31/100 The Woodlands II Former railway station comprising station master's house, waiting room, ticket office and wall enclosing toilets; now a private house. Dated 1859 on porch doorway for the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway Company. Dressed and ashlar sandstone, weather-boarded waiting room; Welsh slate roofs with bands of fish-scale tiles; stone chimney stacks. Linked linear plan: L-plan house with parallel rear wing; station buildings attached to left return of house. Tudor style.

2-storey house; 2 bays, the left projecting and cross-gabled; porch in re-entrant angle. Raised quoins and chamfered plinth. Porch: replaced door in pointed, chamfered surround with keystone dated 1859; 2-light window with shouldered heads to front. Main block has ovolo-moulded windows in raised surrounds with alternating jambs: cross window, with 2-light half-dormer above, to right; 5- light transomed bay window, with 2 light window above, to left. Steeply-pitched roofs have overhanging verges and eaves with bargeboards and exposed rafters. Conjoined and corniced ridge stacks with ornamental stone chimney pots.

One-storey, 4-bay waiting room, attached to left of house, has 3-light windows above weatherboarded dado. Hipped roof with overhanging, bracketed eaves.

One-storey, one-bay, pavilion-like ticket office, attached to left of waiting room, has pair of cross windows in projecting gabled bay. Steeply-pitched hipped roof with flat top. Corniced stack rises from rear wall. Short L-plan section of wall enclosing former toilets, attached to left, has chamfered coping.

Right return of house- stepped external chimney; return bay of rear wing has two 3-light windows and a low-pitched hipped roof.

Listing NGR: NZ0172817787

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 01728 17787

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:50:12.

End of official listing