SELABY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1121117
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
SELABY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SELABY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:54:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
SELABY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gainford
National Grid Reference:
NZ 15317 18303

Details

NZ 11 NE GAINFORD SELABY

6/126 Selaby Hall 14.9.66

II

Country house. Probably mid C17 with major additions c.1790 and alterations in early C20. Roughcast masonry, graduated green slate roofs with roughcast stacks. Main block c.1790 with mid C17 wing attached to right rear.

2-storey, 7-bay front with bowed 3-bay centre. Ground floor has low plinth, sill band and mainly renewed 12-pane sashes with blind boxes; renewed 9- and 12-pane sashes, with projecting sills, above. Continuous eaves cornice. Low- pitched hipped roof with 4 corniced ridge stacks. 5-bay left return with bowed 3-bay centre; ground floor has 3 elongated 15-pane sashes. 3-bay right return has circular towers to front and rear; mainly renewed 12-pane sashes. Rear tower has C20 6-panel'door. Towers have low-pitched conical roofs.

2-storey rear wing has 4 irregularly-spaced bays. Double chamfered mullioned windows of 2- and 3-lights have Gothick glazing with round-arched heads containing Y-tracery. C20 single-storey addition at left. Continuous eaves cornice. Roof, hipped to right, as 2 ridge stacks.

Interior: rear wing has doorway with chamfered reveal and four-centred head. Main block has early Cl9 6-panel doors and window shutters.

Outbuildings attached to left return and rear not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ1531718303

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111078
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05750/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].