THE CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121224

Date first listed: 17-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1977

Statutory Address: THE CLOCK TOWER, WEST ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOCK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:33:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CLOCK TOWER, WEST ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Darlington (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 28892 14485

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST ROW 1. 5195 The Clock Tower (Formerly listed as the Town Steeple with the Market Building, under Market Place) NZ 2814 SE 8/110 17.8.72.

II GV

2. 1864 by Alfred Waterhouse. Tall, 7-stage tower of pale brick with stone bands and dressings in Italian Gothic style. At 5th-stage on each face paired printed arched windows, whose detached shafts have ornamental capitals, give on to decorative cast iron balconies on heavy stone brackets. Sixth stage is of open pointed arcading. Clock face above has octagonal corner turrets supporting spirelets around tall slated spire with lucarnes and vane. Doorway in west face, now blocked, has mouldings and nook shafts. Adjacent plaque: Presented to the town by Joseph Pease, 1864, Architect Alfred F Waterhouse. On north side a 2-storey abutting building of similar materials has had large shop windows inserted on both ground and 1st floors.

Listing NGR: NZ2889214485

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110734

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing