SALVATION ARMY CITADEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121360

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: SALVATION ARMY CITADEL, 47 AND 48, SADDLER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SALVATION ARMY CITADEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 06:20:02.

Location

Statutory Address: SALVATION ARMY CITADEL, 47 AND 48, SADDLER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27470 42368

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE SADDLER STREET NZ 2742 SW (East side)

14/397 Nos. 47 and 48 (Salvation Army Citadel) 19.10.62 (formerly listed as Nos. 48 and 49)

GV II*

Assembly rooms and shops, incorporating part of North Gate of Castle; now Salvation Army meeting hall and university department. Medieval gate. Circa 1800 assembly rooms with ground floor alterations. Ground floor rendered; first floor English bond brick with painted ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with brick chimneys. Circa 1900 shop at left has recessed central door; upper glazing bars in shop windows. Central c.1800 shop has partly-glazed door and 2-pane overlight at left, and shop window with 3 rows of 6 panes at right, under patterned shallow segmental lunette. Assembly rooms entrance at right has many-panelled door in Greek Doric doorcase with columns and entablature, flanking narrow sashes with projecting stone sills. First floor has 3 large sash windows above shops, with wedge stone lintels, projecting stone sills, and glazing bars; wide blank right bay has painted SALVATION ARMY in aedicule. Low-pitched roof has end brick chimney.

Interior: wide open-string stair has swept wreath and curtail, round handrail on stick balusters. Reported to contain fragments of North Gate barbican in basement. Graded for medieval parts.

Listing NGR: NZ2747642386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110452

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing