COSIN'S LIBRARY (UNIVERSITY LIBRARY)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121382

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: COSIN'S LIBRARY (UNIVERSITY LIBRARY), PALACE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of COSIN'S LIBRARY (UNIVERSITY LIBRARY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 04:05:42.

Location

Statutory Address: COSIN'S LIBRARY (UNIVERSITY LIBRARY), PALACE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27343 42284

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN NZ 2742 SW (West side)

14/351 Cosin's Library 19.10.62 (University Library) (formerly listed as CV II* Cousin's Library)

Library. 1667-8 by John Longstaffe for Bishop Cosin who gave it for public use. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roofs of sandstone flags. 2 storeys, one wide bay. Central door with 3 over 3 elliptical- headed panels in stone architrave under open and broken segmental scrolled pediment which contains coat of arms. 3-light stone mullioned-and-transomed window above has segmental-headed lights. Eaves string; high parapet, altered in C19 from battlements to conceal heightened roof pitch, has roll-moulded coping. 2-storey canted porch at right, added mid C19, has door in elliptical- headed surround. 3 elliptical-headed windows above.

Interior: internal porch has rear screen panelled in same style as door; inserted gallery on octagonal wood columns, with spiral stair of wood and iron. Bookcases, with dentilled cornices over frieze painted with portraits of philosophers and other famous men, alternate with narrow bays, now filled with shelves, which have swag decoration in segmental pediments on cornices. Scrolled pediment over internal porch has swag and coat of arms. 1845 stone chimney piece in Tudor style in memory of Bishop Thorpe. Small room added at rear in 1670 by Longstaffe.

A scheduled ancient monument.

Listing NGR: NZ2734342284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110407

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing