CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121447

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST.ANDREWS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 14:54:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST.ANDREWS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Spennymoor

National Grid Reference: NZ 26416 34171

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 23 SE SPENNYMOOR ST ANDREWS LANE (West end, off)

6/76

Church of St Andrew

II

Parish church. 1883 (foundation stone) -1884 by C.H. Fowler; site given by the Weardale Iron and Coal Company; extension 1890, (west foundation stone); 1895 memorial chapel and vestry. Snecked sandstone with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof, with roll-moulded ridge tiles, red on nave and grey on chancel, and stone gable copings. Nave with south porch, south-east tower and north aisle; chancel with north memorial chapel and vestry. Boarded door in wide-chamfered surround with dripmould in gabled porch; Tudor-arched surround to door in right return. Buttresses with offsets between 4 nave windows, of 3 cusped lights (except for 2-light window beside porch). 2 lights in chancel windows under dripmoulds, with buttress between the eastern two. Large 5-light east and west windows, the west with Perpendicular tracery.

Square tower has 2-centred-arched door in right return; small rectangular lights in high first stage, broached to string below tall octagonal belfry with 4 lancets and embattled parapet; octagonal spire with bud finial. Square-headed 3-light window with cusped lights in east vestry gable; 2-light window in similar style to room above. Steeply-pitched roofs with stone cross finials.

INTERIOR: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; roof of arch-braced collar- and-king-post trusses on stone-corbelled wall-posts, and shorter intermediate trusses on cornice between posts; roof continues over chancel which has cusped wind-braces below 2 levels of purlins. Dripmould to seven 2-centred hollow- chamfered arches of north aisle, the westernmost narower, on moulded capitals of octagonal piers. Blank west arch has ogee cusping. Flower- stopped dripmould-over east window. Delicately-carved chancel screen. Octagonal stone font with pointed cover, gift of parish school, 1884. Brass plaque beside memorial chapel to Thomas Charles Baring, M.A., M.P., placed by the parishioners, vigil of St. Andrew, 1895. Brass plaque by chapel door 1896 to William Semmens, killed in fall of stone at Tudhoe Colliery. Memorial chapel contains C17 marble altar and reredos brought from Spain by Thomas Baring. Pews have rail backs and shaped ends; memorial chapel kneelers 1959 by Thompson of Kilburn. Glass includes 1901 chapel north window by G.I. Baguley, showing Saints Peter, Andrew and Mark; east window World War I memorial, with names of dead on screen at west end of nave.

Source: Neville D. Baker, "Flickers in the Flames of the Furnace"; the First Century of the Parish Church of St. Andrew, Tudhoe Grange, Spennymoor, 1884- 1984, N.D. (Spennymoor).

Listing NGR: NZ2641634171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 112270

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baker, N, Flickers in the Flames of the Furnace the First Century of the Parish Church of St Andrew Tudhoe Grange Spennymoor 1884-1984

End of official listing