CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121498

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 14:24:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shildon

National Grid Reference: NZ 22887 26440

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 22 NW SHILDON CHURCH STREET (East side, off)

4/73 Church of St. John

II

Parish church. 1833-4 nave by Anthony Salvin; largely rebuilt and extended in 1881-2 by C. Hodgson Fowler who also rebuilt the tower 1891-1900. Dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs and green slate tower roof. Disengaged west tower; continuous aisled nave and chancel; north and south porches at west end Early English style with lancets under hoodmoulds.

3-stage west tower, defined by chamfered bands, has set-back buttresses. First stage has roll-moulded, pointed-arched doorway, on paired colonnettes, with 3 lancets above; north return has A.D. 1900 datestone. Second stage has circular clock faces and paired lancets to north return. Belfry has 3 louvred lancets, corbelled parapet and pyramidal roof. Flat, 2-stage stair turret to south return.

4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. Buttressed aisles have paired lancets, sill string and continuous hoodmould. North aisle has blank east bay with pointed-arched vestry doorway to west. 2 eastern bays of south aisle contain organ chamber and Lady chapel. Roofs have coped gables. Single lancets of 1833 nave flank west tower. Low single-bay porches with monopitch roofs (in re-entrant angles between nave and aisles) have doorways with shouldered lintels under pointed arches. Triple-gabled east end. Projecting chancel has 3 stepped lancets. Sexfoil window in south aisle return. 2-light plate-tracery window to north aisle return.

Plain and plastered interior. Spacious nave and aisles. 4-bay north arcade has chamfered, pointed arches dying into octagonal piers. Similar 6-bay south arcade. Ceiled nave roof with braced tie beams. Aisle roofs have arch-braced tie-beams and collars. Raised sanctuary under depressed pointed arch. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit.

Has townscape value. Buildings attached to east end not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2288726440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 112189

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing