This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LIMESBROOK FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIMESBROOK FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1121530

Location

LIMESBROOK FARMHOUSE, KELVEDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tolleshunt D'arcy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353176

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY KELVEDON ROAD TL 91 SW (south side) 3/64 Limesbrook Farmhouse, formerly listed as 10.1.53 Limebrook Farmhouse - II

House. Early C16, altered in early C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay range with long-wall jetty to S, and axial stack. C19 extension to W. 3-bay crosswing at E end, also jettied to S, with external stack at side. C19 extension to W. Early C19 narrow entrance range to N of main range, completing a rectangular plan, and altering a house originally facing S to face N. 2 storeys. N (entrance) elevation, ground floor, 2 C19/early C20 sashes and 3 C20 casements; first floor, one C19/early C20 sash, one early C19 sash of 3 + 6 lights and one of 16 lights. C20 door in C20 porch. Date 1504 inscribed in modern plaster. Hipped roof. S (garden) elevation, ground floor, one C18 3-light window with wrought iron casement, 2 C18 windows of 3 fixed lights, all with rectangular leading, and 2 C20 casements; first floor, 2 C17 3-light windows and one C18 3-light window, all with wrought iron casements. Both jetties plastered. Chamfered axial and transverse beams, cambered tiebeams. The RCHM (9) reported a beam with billet moulding, and a crownpost roof in the crosswing. Described as the manor of Langbrokes by P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, I, 399, and as Langbrokes in Chapman and Andre's map of 1777.

Listing NGR: TL9201112318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 399

National Grid Reference: TL 92011 12318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:54:39.

End of official listing