Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121550

Date first listed: 16-May-1991



Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 03:15:28.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Medway (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 73874 69521


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


STROOD VICARAGE ROAD TQ 76 NW 2/286 Parish Church of St Mary 16.5.91 II*

Parish Church. 1868-9 by Arthur Blomfield. Built and endowed by Mary, widow of John Griffith, Dean of Rochester. Snecked rubble ragstone; Kent tile roof. Yellow brick interior, with red brick dressings. Nave (with W narthex and gallery), N and S aisles, S porch S transept, chancel with N aisle. W front: an original well detailed design. Shallow gabled porch with limestone coping, vesica (containing small figure of Christ in Majesty) to gable wall, 2-centre arched portal with detached shafts. Buttresses to either side, that to the right (s) serving also as a stair turret. Tripartite W window arrangement (2 light window flanked by lancets); projecting statue niche above; complicated buttressing marks the transition between the W wall and polygonal apex belcote, with spirelet. The rest of the exterior is more straightforward: 5-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with clerestory (2-light clerestory windows under hood moulds), paired lancets to aisles. 3 stepped lancets to E end. Interior: nave piers of quatrefoil section with fine stiff-leaf capitals, arches under continuous hood moulds with foliated corbels; poly- chromatic brick work to spandrels and clerestory walls; roof, boarded and canted with paired principals. Elaborate W end arrangement: the 3 W windows deeply recessed under 3 stepped super-ordinate arches the shafts enclosing a gallery (over the narthex) which is pierced by 2:3:2 arches with marble shafts. 2 lancets flank central doorway below legend recording endowment of the church by Mary Griffith, 1869. Chancel, raised by 3 steps, moulded arch of 3 orders on tall shafts and foliated corbels. Side elevations treated differently: to the N, 2-bay arcade of richly moulded arches on paired shaft with foliated capitals; to the S, ie towards the organ chamber, a tall moulded super-ordinate arch with 2 subordinate arches and large cusped roundel. Chancel walls decorated in herringbone brick and mastic. (Stepped E lancets contain Expressionist glass by William G Blyth). Reredos: tripartite arrangement, the centre with Supper at Emmaus (by T Bromfield), of excellent quality,with side panels of mosaics by Salviati. Tiled floors. Full fittings include sanctuary rails, open-fronted stalls, open benches to nave; stone front and openwork wooden pulpit. Overall an outstanding church described by Newman (Buildings of England, 1980 edition, p 551) as 'thoroughly convincing ... tautly designed and with an excellent use of materials', and one of Blomfield's best works.

Listing NGR: TQ7387669490


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 173221

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 511

End of official listing