WYNCH BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1121562

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: WYNCH BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYNCH BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:45:45.

Location

Statutory Address: WYNCH BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Holwick

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newbiggin

National Grid Reference: NY9038227896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWBIGGIN RIVER TEES NY 92 NW 14/158 Wynch Bridge 14/9/66 II* Suspension bridge. Circa 1820 for Duke of Cleveland, replacing earlier bridge on site which was erected pre-1757 and was said to have been the earliest in Europe. Cast iron columns; wrought iron hangers, suspension and handrails; wood deck. 2 tapered Tuscan columns at each end support iron blocks through which suspension rails are threaded, and to the outside of which iron guy cables and square-section guy rods are bolted. Of 3 original hand rails threaded through the 13 pairs of hangers, the top was missing, as were the planks of the deck, at time of survey. 13 beams support deck. Being reinforced at time of survey.

The original bridge was built to enable lead miners who lived at Holwick to reach the mines at Middleton.

Source: W. Fordyce, History and Antiquities of the Co. Palatine of Durham, 1857; vol. II, p.70.

Listing NGR: NY9038227896

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Holwick at List entry 1121052. This entry was removed from the List on 19 April 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111960

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fordyce, W, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1857), 70

End of official listing