HOUSE AND WALL ADJACENT TO MASTERMAN PLACE ARCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121590

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: HOUSE AND WALL ADJACENT TO MASTERMAN PLACE ARCH, MASTERMAN PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSE AND WALL ADJACENT TO MASTERMAN PLACE ARCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 19:21:16.

Location

Statutory Address: HOUSE AND WALL ADJACENT TO MASTERMAN PLACE ARCH, MASTERMAN PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Middleton in Teesdale

National Grid Reference: NY 94967 25286

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON IN TEESDALE MASTERMAN PLACE NY 9425 (West side) 24/119 House and wall adjacent to Masterman Place arch GV II Reading room, now house. 1854 for London Lead Company. Coursed squared sandstone with painted tooled ashlar dressings; roof of graduated stone flags. Rubble sandstone wall. House one storey, 3 bays, with pent right extension. Central C20 glazed door in tooled stone surround under stone- bracketed ridged hood. Flanking sashes with fine glazing bars have flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Left return has 2 narrow sashes in similar style.

Rubble wall at left rear links to arch (q.v.) and has round coping. Right flat-coped extension to house, with C20 openings, not of special interest.

Sources: W. Fordyce, History and Antiquities of the County Palantine of Durham - 1857, II p.66.

A. Raistrick, Two Centuries of Industrial Welfare, 1974.

Listing NGR: NY9496725286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111921

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fordyce, W, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1857), 66
Raistick, A, Two Centuries of Industrial Welfare, (1974)

End of official listing