WYCLIFFE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121663

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYCLIFFE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:51:16.

Location

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wycliffe with Thorpe

National Grid Reference: NZ 11599 14292

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 11 SW WYCLIFFE WITH THORPE WYCLIFFE

7/203 Wycliffe Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, 1733. Rendered and colour-washed stone with cut dressings; graduated stone slate roof. Rectangular block with projecting wings at each end of south front; and north-east wing.

South elevation 2 storeys, 1 + 3 + 1 bays. 7 steps up to central Tuscan porch, enclosing renewed 6-panel door with 3-pane overlight. Flanking 30-pane sashes with segmental-arched heads; 12-pane sashes above. Lower projecting wings: each has steps up to 32-pane French window; and 16-pane sash above. 12-pane sashes, some renewed, on 1-bay inner returns. Hip-ended roof. Main block roof is hipped to the right and has a coped gable to the left; left end stack and 3 low ridge stacks. 4-bay right return shows 12-pane sashes on both floors. Tall rear elevation above basement has scattered fenestration including tall arched stair window, with intersecting glazing bars, and three 16-pane sashes.

Interior: Fielded-panel doors in moulded doorcases with paterae; folding panelled shutters on H-hinges; moulded cornices; dogleg closed-string stair with urn-on-vase balusters,square fluted newels and moulded handrail.

Two 1st floor rooms at the west end of the Old Rectory are now incorporated into the West House.

Historical note: the house was built at the sole expense of Thomas Robinson, rector 1731-69.

H.D. Pritchett, 'John D. Wycliffe' (reprint of articles in 'Darlington and Stockton Times') 1935, p.1.

Listing NGR: NZ1160014295

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111794

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pritchett, HD , John D Wycliffe, (1935), 1

End of official listing